- Behavioral Health
- Clinical Reference
- Consumer Health
- Evidence-Based Practice
- Family Medicine
- Maternal & Child Health
- Mobile Resources
- Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Orthopaedic Surgery
- Practice Guidelines
- Public Health
- Texas Public Health
- Basic Sciences
- Data Sets
- Global Health
- Health & Healthcare Disparities
- Management, Health Policy
- NIH Public Access
- Science Reference
- Systematic Review
- Toxicology and Environmental Health
- Dissertation & Thesis
- Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences Student
- Medical Student
- Southwestern School of Health Professions (SSHP) Student
- Tutorials, FAQs, and Videos
- Ask Us
- Computers in Library
- Digital Media Production Studio
- Faculty Curriculum Support
- Institutional Repository
- InterLibrary Loan (ILLiad)
- Library Informatics Classroom
- Off-Campus Access
- Presentation and Poster Support
- Print, Copy, and Scan
- Request Training
- Research Services
- Study Rooms and Workstations
- Systematic Review
- Topic Search Request
- Wireless Connection
- Ask Us
Name: Crossno, Jon
Title: Cataloging and Metadata Librarian
Title: Cataloging and Metadata Librarian
- Provide cataloging support for the ongoing development and maintenance of the Library’s website and online public access catalog (OPAC).
- Create and maintain catalog records for items in all print and electronic formats (e.g., monographs, serials, audiovisual materials, and electronic resources) in the Library’s collections.
- Collaborate with library partners to create, enrich, or maintain the description of digital objects, using local and national cataloging or metadata standards.
- Provide support for the Electronic Thesis and Dissertation Submission System (Vireo), such as processing approved student submissions for publication, troubleshooting administrative questions, and assisting with access issues.
- Maintain awareness of and engagement with national and international trends and developments in cataloging and metadata standards, bibliographic and authority control, and knowledge management.
- Participate in Library and campus-wide teams and task forces.
Contact me regarding:
- Cataloging & metadata
- Electronic theses or dissertations at UT Southwestern
- Publishing & editing articles
Areas of Interest:
- Collection Development
- Web Publishing & Development
- M.S., University of North Texas, Library Science, 1996
- B.A., The University of Texas at Austin, English/Journalism, 1990
- Academy of Health Information Professionals: Distinguished Member (2012-2017)
- American Library Association: member (1995-1997)
- DFW Health Libraries Information Network (HealthLINE): treasurer (November 2013-January 2017), past chair (2012), chair (2011), chair-elect (2010), member (2000-present)
- Nominating Committee: chair (2012), member (2016)
- Travel Award Committee: member (2013)
- Medical Library Association (1999-Present)
- Collection Development Section (2006-2014)
- Continuing Education Committee (2012-2013)
- Website Committee: interim chair (August-December 2014), member (2013-2014)
- EBSCO/MLA Meeting Grant Jury (2010-2011)
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgendered Health Science Librarians Special Interest Group: co-convener (2007-2009); program task force (2006-2008), newsletter editor (2002-2006), member (1999-present)
- Public Services Section (2001-2005)
- Relevant Issues Section: webmaster (2015-present), nominee to the MLA Nominating Committee (2014), member (2005-present)
- Research Section (2005-2006)
- Technical Services Section: member (2015-present)
- Membership Committee: member (2016-present)
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine South Central Region, Technology Advisory Committee (2001-2003)
- South Central Chapter/MLA: treasurer (2017-present), past president (2012-2013), president (2011-2012), president-elect (2010-2011), secretary (2005-2006), 2014 Quint Chapter Meeting liaison (2012-2014), membership database manager (1999-2010, 2015-present), member (1997-present)
- 2014 Quint MLA Chapter Meeting Steering Committee: co-chair (2013-2014)
- Communications Committee (1999-2010, 2015-present)
- Finance Committee (2010-2013): chair (2012-2013), member (2010-2013, 2017-present)
- Fund Raising Committee: board liaison (2017-present)
- History Committee: member (2005-2007)
- Hospital Library Interest Section: member (2008-present)
- Local Arrangements Committee: member (2007-2008)
- Membership Committee: member (1999-2010, 2015-present), board liaison (2017-present)
- Nominating Committee: co-chair (2012-2013), member (2012-2013)
- Program Committee: co-chair (2011-2012)
- SCC Chapter Website Redesign Task Force: member (2008-2010)
- SCC Registration Task Force: member (2007)
- Wild Apricot Implementation Task Force: chair (2014-2016)
- Texas Library Association: member (1995-2000, 2002, 2004-2006)
- College and University Libraries Division: member (2000, 2002, 2004-2006)
- Public Libraries Division: member (1995-1999)
- Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgendered Interest Group: member (2002, 2004-2006)
- Small Community Libraries Round Table: member (1995-2000)
- TexShare Card Working Group: member (2004-2006)
Selected Talks and Presentations:
- Crossno J, Traditi LK. "Focus on the Forest, Not the Trees: A Checklist for Planning Chapter Meetings" (poster). Presented at the Medical Library Association Annual Meeting, Toronto, Ontario, Canada (15 May 2016).
- Crossno J. "Meeting Registration Simplified: Using RegOnline to Soar Above the Clouds" (tech expo). Presented at the South Central Chapter/MLA Annual Meeting, Dallas, TX (13 Oct 2008).
- Gonzalez K, Crossno J. "Imagining Web Content as an Investment" (contributed paper). Presented at the South Central Chapter/MLA Annual Meeting, Albuquerque, NM (22 Oct 2007).
- Bunnett B, Crossno J, Lee R. "Transformational Skills in a Perpetually Changing Information Landscape" (contributed paper). Presented at the Medical Library Association Annual Meeting, Phoenix, AZ (23 May 2006).
- "TexShare Card Tips: Issuing and Accepting the TexShare Card at Your Library" (panel discussion). Presented at the Texas Library Association Annual Conference, San Antonio, TX (20 Mar 2004).
- Crossno J, Lee R, Varman B. "SCC/MLA Membership - Online and On Time: With PayPal It Just Got Easier" (poster). Presented at the South Central Chapter/MLA Annual Meeting, Shreveport, LA (6 Oct 2003).
- Crossno J, Traditi LK, Mills J. Chapter news: join us for Quint*Essential: Convergence & Collaboration. MLA News. 2014 Sep;54(8):12,13.
- Crossno J. Chapter news: news from the South Central Chapter. MLA News. 2012 Sep;52(8):18.
- Crossno JE, DeShay CH, Huslig MA, Mayo HG, Patridge EF. A case study: the evolution of a “facilitator model” liaison program in an academic medical library. J Med Libr Assoc. 2012 Jul;100(3):171-5.
- Crossno J. 10.10.8 pulmonary disease. In: Thompson LL, Carrigan E, Higa HL, Tobia R, editors. The Medical Library Association’s guide to authoritative information resources in the health sciences. New York: Neal-Schuman Publishers; 2011. p. 239-42.
- Hendrix I, Crossno J, Hopkins M, eds. 2010 membership directory: South Central Chapter/Medical Library Association. 31st ed. Dallas, TX: South Central Chapter of the Medical Library Association, 2010.
- Huang, L, Crossno J, eds. 2009 membership directory: South Central Chapter/Medical Library Association. 30th ed. Dallas, TX: South Central Chapter of the Medical Library Association, 2009.
Awards and Grants:
- SCAMeL Professional Development/Exchange Award (2016), South Central Academic Medical Libraries (SCAMeL) Consortium
- HealthLINE Librarian of the Year (2012), Dallas/Fort Worth Health Libraries Information Network (HealthLINE).
- SCC/MLA Librarian of the Year (2008), South Central Chapter/MLA, Dallas, TX.
- EBSCO/MLA Annual Meeting Grant (2004), Medical Library Association, Washington, DC
- SCC Research Award (1998), South Central Chapter/MLA Research Committee, Fort Worth, TX
- "Designing a Customer Service Survey Instrument for Use in Academic Medical Libraries" (Funded: Jun 1998 / Completed: Jan 1999), South Central Academic Medical Libraries (SCAMeL) Consortium research grant