- Behavioral Health
- Clinical Reference
- Consumer Health
- Evidence-Based Practice
- Family Medicine
- Maternal & Child Health
- Mobile Resources
- Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Orthopaedic Surgery
- Practice Guidelines
- Public Health
- Texas Public Health
- Basic Sciences
- Data Sets
- Global Health
- Health & Healthcare Disparities
- Management, Health Policy
- NIH Public Access
- Science Reference
- Systematic Review
- Toxicology and Environmental Health
- Dissertation & Thesis
- Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences Student
- Medical Student
- Southwestern School of Health Professions (SSHP) Student
- Ask Us
- Computers in Library
- Digital Media Production Studio
- Faculty Curriculum Support
- Institutional Repository
- InterLibrary Loan (ILLiad)
- Library Informatics Classroom
- Off-Campus Access
- Presentation and Poster Support
- Print, Copy, and Scan
- Request Training
- Research Services
- Study Rooms and Workstations
- Systematic Review
- Topic Search Request
- Wireless Connection
- Ask Us
Title: Assistant Director
My primary responsibilities are in managing and participating in service and partnership activities and helping the Assistant V.P. (AVP) of Library Services to manage the Library and include:
- Develop and manage Service and Partnerships activities and personnel
- Maintain and develop services related to client experience, education, partnerships, and research
- Participate in the delivery of those services, specifically Live Chat and performing literature searches
- Help develop strategic plans via the Organizational Advisory Council (OAC) as well as other activities that support the AVP
- Assessment and survey activities
Contact me regarding:
- Service and Partnership issues
- Library assessment
- Library planning
- School of Health Professions
Areas of Interest:
- Leadership and management
- Client Experience
- Project and strategic planning
- Organizational development
- Health information literacy
- Library futures
MBA, with honors, UT Arlington, Information Systems Concentration
I spent over 30 years with an IT focus. My focus then moved to project management, strategic planning, organizational development, and special projects. For the past year, my focus has been on the part of the library that directly interacts with our clients.
During the last 15+ years, I have also worked with Strategic Information Management Services, a library consulting company. Through this venue, I have consulted with a variety of libraries around the country in the areas of library automation, library planning, and library development.
Although I don't teach a regular class, I do presentations to Library staff on issues that have strategic import.
Selected Talks and Presentations:
- "Tricorders, Light Sabers, and HAL [New Development in Library Technology]," Computers in Libraries Conference, Washington, D.C., March 2003.
- "Basic Computer and Network Troubleshooting," Texas Library Association Annual Conference, Houston, Texas, April 2003.
- “PC Defense Arts,” UT Southwestern Library Showcase, November 2003.
- "Designing an Effective Organization," EDUCAUSE Southwest Conference, Dallas, Texas, February 2004.
- "Basic Computer and Network Troubleshooting (2nd Annual)," Texas Library Association Annual Conference, San Antonio, Texas, April 2004.
- “Improving Information Security in Your Library,” North Texas Regional Library System Quarterly Meeting, January 2005.
- “Setting up a Wireless Network,” Texas Library Association Annual Conference Pre-Conference Workshop, Austin, Texas, April 2005.
- “Information Darwinianism,” Dynix Institute, May 2005.
- “Staff Technology Training Series,” UT Southwestern Library, 2003, 2004, & 2005.
- "Information Darwinianism: Not Your Mother's Library," Texas Library Association Annual Conference, Houston, Texas, April 2006.
- "Information Darwinianism: Not Your Mother's Library," Medical Library Association Annual Conference, Phoenix, Arizona, April 2006.
- “Core Competencies in Library Technology: Where IT is and Where Its Going,” American Library Association Annual Conference, New Orleans, Louisiana, June 2006.
- “Keeping Up With Technology: New Trends and Terminology,” Texas Library Association Annual Conference, San Antonio, Texas, April 2007.
- “Web 2.0,” DFW Area SirsiDynix Users’ Group Meeting, Tyler, Texas, June 2007.
- "Not Your Mother’s Library: Information Darwinianism,” Amigos Annual Spring Conference, Dallas, Texas, May 2007.
- “Not Your Mother’s Library: Information Darwinianism,” Amigos Online Course, Dallas, Texas, October 2007.
- “Top Technology Trends for Texas (T4) Libraries,” Texas Library Association Annual Conference, Dallas, Texas, April 2008.
- “Transformational Change: The Evolving Role of Library IT Departments,” American Library Association Annual Conference, Organizer and Speaker, Anaheim, California, June 2008.
- Module contributor, MLA online CE course on library assessment and strategic planning, 2009.
- “Performance Measurement: Organizational Changes and Outcomes Monitoring,” Library Assessment Conference and North Texas Library Assessment Group Conference, co-author, November, 2010.
- Co-Chair, Texas Library Association Strategic Planning Task Force, 2011-2012.
- “Library Organizational Cultures and Leadership,” Texas Library Association Annual Conference, April, 2013.
- “Libraries, Creativity, Liberty: Creating the New Texas Library for the 21st Century," Co-authored with Louella Wetherbee, Texas Library Journal, Winter 2003.
- “An Overview of Public Access Computer Software Management Tools for Libraries, " Computers in Libraries Magazine, June 2004.
- “Redesigning a Library’s Organizational Structure,” Co-authored with others, College & Research Libraries, January 2005.
- “Helping You Buy: PC Management Software,” Computers in Libraries Magazine, February 2005.
- “Top Texas Technology Trends For Libraries,” Texas Library Journal, Spring 2005.
- “Top Technology Trends in Texas Libraries: Wireless Networking & Anti-Spyware Software,” Texas Library Journal, Summer 2005.
- Library Technology Now, librarytechnologynow.org, Editorial Board. 2004, 2005, 2006.
- "Top Technology Trends For Libraries," Texas Library Journal, Spring 2006.
- “A Thin Client Computing Road Test,” Texas Library Journal, Summer 2006.
- “Helping You Buy: Security-Control Software,” Computers in Libraries Magazine, June 2006.
- "Helping You Buy: Integrated Library Systems," Computers in Libraries Magazine, October 2006.
- “Top Texas Technology Trends for Libraries,” Texas Library Journal, Spring 2007.
- “Helping You Buy: Integrated Library Systems,” Computers in Libraries Magazine, October 2007.
- “Top Technology Trends for Texas (T4) Libraries,” Texas Library Journal, Summer 2008.
- Core Technology Competencies for Librarians, Chapter author, Neal-Schuman Publishers, 2008.
- “Report of the LITA Heads of Library Technology (HoLT) Interest Group Meeting, American Library Association Midwinter Meeting, Philadelphia, January, 2008,” Technical Services Quarterly, 2009 (no. 3).
- “Three Library Building Blocks for Planning for the Future,” Texas Library Journal, Winter 2010.
- “The academic library strategic planning puzzle: putting the pieces together,” College & Research Libraries News, January 2011.
- New Directions for the Association: The 2012 – 2015 TLA Strategic Plan,” Texas Library Journal, Summer 2012
Software Application Skills:
As an IT manager and worker for many years, I have extensive experience with a broad array of systems and end-user software.
Awards and Grants:
- 2001 Texas Infrastructure Fund grant