Library Catalog FAQ
What is the direct URL to the Library Catalog?
It is http://www.utsouthwestern.edu/libcat.
- Enter keyword(s) in the search box above (e.g. diabetes mellitus)
- Limit the number of search results by providing two or more keywords
- You can also limit your search by title, author, subject, ISBN, series or call number by selecting the appropriate option in the search box drop-down menu.
- Different forms of a word (child, children, children's) are searched automatically.
- Results will display in the order of a "relevance" ranking by default
- Advanced Search allows for combination of multiple search terms or phrase into separate box. Browse the search box drop-down menus to select specific search fields e.g. title, author, subject, publisher etc.
- You can also limit your search to type of material, shelving location, date of publication etc.
Search Results Page
- Use the faceted navigation on the left column to filter the search results
- Use the "Add to Cart" link to temporarily save item (for printing, emailing or downloading to a citation management software) in the "Cart" near the top of a screen. Use the check boxes to the left of each item if you like to add multiple items into your cart at once.
What is remote storage?
Items with a remote storage location are at the Joint Library Facility (JLF) in College Station, Texas. Our Library provided the core of a shared resource for the University of Texas and Texas A&M university systems that is used by students and faculty throughout the state, including the new UT System medical schools in Austin and South Texas.
How do I know what materials are in remote storage?
Items that display in the catalog with JLF (Joint Library Facility), JLF--Resource in Common, or JLF--Resource in Common (Pending) are in remote storage.
Is there a difference between the different categories for remote storage?
Items marked as JLF were contributed to JLF from our Library's collection. Items marked as a "Resource In Common" can be claimed by our Library as a shared resource. Pending items have not yet completed processing but can still be requested by clients.
How do I get items from remote storage?
Request items from remote storage through ILLiad (Interlibrary Loan).
Will I be charged if I need something from remote storage?
The delivery cost for ILLiad (Interlibrary Loan) depends on affiliation and delivery speed. More information is available here.
|Main Floor||Main Library (Main Floor - Level 2)||Library Use Only|
|Archives (E3.314F)||Main Library (Middle Floor - Level 3)||By appointment (email@example.com)|
|Archives (K Annex)|
|History of Medicine (E3.314F)|
|History of Medicine (K Annex)|
|History of Medicine Oversize (E3.314F)|
|History of Medicine Oversize (K Annex)|
|History of Medicine Reference (E3.314F)|
|History of Medicine Reference (K Annex)|
|Rare Book Room|
|Rare Book Room Oversize|
|ACE-Skillsoft||Link provided in catalog||Available 24/7|
|JLF (Joint Library Facility)
These items have been sent to JLF from the Library's collection.
|College Station, Texas||Request through ILLiad (interlibrary loan)|
|JLF--Resource in Common (Pending)
These items were not sent to JLF from the Library's collection but can be used as a shared resource when processing is complete.
|JLF--Resource in Common
These items were not sent to JLF from the Library's collection but can be used as a shared resource.
I found an item in the catalog that I need to order through Interlibrary Loan. How do I do that?
Use the link to Interlibrary Loan at the top of the catalog menu to order items you find in the catalog.
What is the cart?
Use the "Add to Cart" feature in the catalog to print or export a list of items to use in a citation manager, such as EndNote.
How do I add items to the cart?
After searching for ebooks or other resources in the catalog, click the checkbox next to an item to add it to the cart.
Where do I go to print or export the items in the cart?
Click on the cart icon area in the upper left corner of the window. Choose the Print or Download options.
Which download format do I choose for EndNote citations in the cart?
Select the RIS format. The default file will be named cart.ris.
Can I use the cart to directly order items from Interlibrary Loan?
Not at this time. Use the link to Interlibrary Loan at the top of the catalog menu to order items you find in the catalog.